Uneven Skin Tone
What is an uneven skin tone?
Uneven skin tone (or pigmentation) can be a temporary or permanent problem.
Skin pigmentation varies naturally with different types of skin and how much sun exposure there has been.
What causes uneven skin tone?
Uneven skin tone is related to the inconsistent production of melanin by the body and there are two main reasons for this:
- Overproduction of melanin (hyperpigmentation) causing increased skin colour
- Underproduction of melanin (hypopigmentation) which causes reduced skin colour.
Melanin is the natural pigment that gives our skin its colour and is produced by specialised skin cells called melanocytes — the melanocytes in people with dark skin produce more melanin than those in light-skinned individuals. Triggers for increased melanin production may include:
- Hormones (for example during pregnancy or when taken as a medication)
- Certain skin diseases or other health conditions
- Taking certain medications
- Previous damage to the skin
- Exposure to the sun
How to even skin tone
There are a number of simple lifestyle changes you can make to help improve the health of your skin such as:
- Protecting your skin from sun exposure (and damage)
- Keep your skin well hydrated and moisturised
- Eat a healthy diet
- Manage your stress levels
Using a skin product such as Bio-Oil Skincare Oil can help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone, but if these are not working for you or you are concerned about which option to use talk with your doctor or dermatologist. They can help you find out what causes may lay behind your uneven skin tone and what treatments may best suit you.
How can Bio-Oil Skincare Oil help?
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil has been shown to help improve the appearance of uneven skin tone. The oil should be massaged in a circular motion into the skin (avoiding broken skin), twice daily, for a minimum of 3 months. Results will vary from individual to individual.