What is dry skin?
Dry skin is a common problem that can affect any part of the body but is usually found on the lower legs, arms, hands and scalp.
When you have dry skin:
- Your skin may look and feel dry and rough
- Small splits or cracks can start to appear as the skin loses its suppleness
- Flaky/scaley patches may occur and the skin may begin to peel
- The skin may also become red and itchy.
Dry skin can be caused by a range of different factors including:
- Increasing age
- Skin conditions such as eczema
- Certain medications
- The weather (low humidity: dry hot or cold wind conditions)
- Staying too long in a hot shower or bath and overzealous hand washing.
How to manage dry skin?
The primary way to care for dry skin is to keep moisturising the affected skin areas. This can help improve the barrier function of the skin which in turn helps reduce moisture loss, it can also help reduce any itchiness.
Dry skin may only be temporary problem or it can be a condition that stays with you for a long time — but it can be improved by avoiding any triggering factors and being vigilant in applying moisturisers.
How can Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel help?
Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel is specifically designed for dry skin with the moisturising benefits of an oil and the light and easy absorption of a gel and includes:
- Occlusive ingredients that help form a layer on top of the skin to prevent moisture being lost
- Humectants that help attract and hold water in the outer layer of the skin.
When using Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel you only need to apply a small amount to dry skin (avoiding any broken skin) and then re-apply as required.