How does skin age?
As we age our skin inevitability ages too becoming thinner and no longer as plump or smooth as it used to be — skin is probably one of the first parts of the body that we notice ageing.
There are two different types of ageing:
1. Intrinsic (or chronological) ageing that occurs in everyone, every skin type and all over the body.
- Skin tends to be dry, smooth, thin and transparent
- Fine wrinkles appear especially around the eyes and mouth
- Skin starts losing its elasticity, with older skin sagging under the effect of gravity
- The surface of the skin keeps its ‘youthful’ geometric patterns.
2. Extrinsic (or environment related) ageing that is caused by exposure to the sun and pollutants (such as smoking) – this type of ageing will vary from person-to-person.
- Affects exposed areas of the body (usually the face, neck, and arms)
- Damage from the sun (photoaging) can cause skin to become rough and wrinkled
- Deep wrinkles usually form on the forehead and around the eyes
- Skin can become mottled or freckled and sunspots (age or liver spots) can develop particularly on exposed skin areas such the backs of the hands or the face.
Reducing the signs of ageing skin
Choosing a healthy lifestyle and good skincare can help minimise the signs of both types of skin ageing:
- Avoid exposing your skin to too much sun — wear sun-protective clothing and apply very high-protection sunscreen regularly
- Avoid smoking and exposure to pollutants where possible
- Try to exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet
- Moisturise regularly to help prevent dry skin, fine lines and wrinkles
- Choose skincare products that are ‘kind’ to your skin (non-irritating and neutral or pH-balanced).
How can Bio-Oil Skincare Oil help?
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil has been proven to improve the overall appearance of ageing facial and neck skin. The oil also helps dehydrated skin retain moisture to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil can be used on all parts of the body, including the face, and should be massaged in using a circular motion (avoiding broken skin), twice daily, for a minimum of 3 months. Results will vary from individual to individual.